Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stimulating the Economy

Well, it's been a zany past couple of weeks. But, for the most part, it has been really fun and enjoyable.

Staci and I got the biggest tax refund we've ever gotten, due in no small part to the fact that we filed together and married for the first time, and that I paid for college last year - so that's also a write-off. So, today was spent spending. "Stimulating the economy" as it were. We bought lots of stuff, and I've still got around 600 or so left. I got me a 1TB external for my lappy.

My Magic: The Gathering craze continues a bit, but it now seems like it's just going to be one more of my hobbies. This time, though, I'm not going to quit. I think I'll just keep on the lookout for cards, and play online. Online play is pretty fun, and the recent update made the system seem more stable. It was a bit laggy and unpleasant for a while. And, as far as Magic goes, I really need to start looking at some good deck builds. Finding out which cards are worthwhile and so on.

In addition to my re-interest in MTG, almost all of my friends jumped on the bandwagon full-force, right along with me. This was a pleasant surprise for me, seeing as I thought it would be more along the lines of a friendly game against Justin or Staci here and there. And maybe some random people at A-Kon. Actually, the latter was my original plan. And now, everyone, including Steve and Lance, are card-buying machines, with Steve going in together with me to buy another lot off of ebay (this time, two of the 500 card lots). Thing is, I don't know if Steve holds any interest in playing. I think he still has yet to play a game, which seems a little strange to me. But he seems targeted more at eyeing abilities and working out what would be horrible combos. The one deck he built sure seems to work very well against what I've thrown it at so far.

I'm still torn as to what to purchase with the remainder of my refund. I'm fairly sure I want a new camera, since I got a new hard drive and would like to document the passage of time on digital photography like the past few years. Used to be, not a month would pass without another album from Adam on Facebook or his current blog. I might go for the gold again. Speaking of cameras, I saw an 2GB SD card at Sams for 5 bucks. Media's getting cheap, my friends.

Staci's getting into gardening. Awesome. I really would like our living area to be spruced up. She's going to deck out the deck with plants, and grow an herb garden out front. I'm thinking of fencing off the front yard in some way or another at some point. Maybe widening the parking space over to about where our sidewalk/walkway begins, to give it just enough room to fit cars side-by-side. This would make it to where we would have at least a small front yard and Staci could put some pretty color to those two front small-flower-garden-type areas.

I guess that's it for now. It's 4am.

No comments: