Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It may sound cheesy, and maybe a little bit fake of me, but ever since I got my Sony PRS-505 I've been reading a lot more. I've only had it since shortly after Christmas, and I've read around 4 or 5 books already. Although they've been short stories, I feel fairly proud nonetheless.

What I've finished so far:

  • Sandkings by George R.R. Martin
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall by George R.R. Martin
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by Francis Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells (only a few pages left, actually)

Yes, if my list is any indication whatsoever, I love some good sci-fi, and especially some good old-school sci-fi that kind of shows us how much our species has grown in the scope of the future. H.G. Wells has been one of my favorites for a long time for this specific reason. Although there is no intelligent life that we know of on the planet Mars, The War of the Worlds still has sufficiently believable and terrifyingly detailed technology. Technology that is actually quite future proof as far as what we can see as actually being possible.

I also kind of get the idea that if Wells had been writing today, his stories would have been much more gruesome.

No comments: