Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Janoa and Mulholland Drive

I've been well entrenched into work and house management lately. Working through the bills and finances over and over throughout the day can drain the life right out of you, and everyone around you notices it quite well.

But I do know that it makes me feel better. It makes me feel better to be caught up. And we are on the verge of doing that. On the verge of catching up and finally being able to enjoy our paychecks once again. For the longest time it has been nothing but pay the bank back for our overdraw charges. I wish there was some way to find out how much we wasted on that.

Actually, I'm sure there is, and I'm sure I don't want to know.

Janoa Taylor, a long lost friend from church and church school (from around the 5th and 6th grade, and a few years after) added me on Facebook today. It was fairly strange to see her again, even in social networking form. Although most of her pictures are where I can barely recognize her. I remember a long time ago when I hadn't seen her for probably a few years, and she came back to church to visit a few times. I remember being completely perplexed and uncomfortable around her, because within those two years she went from friend to 'this supermodel person I barely knew'. I remember both Matt K. and I being perplexed. Not him, so much as me, I suppose.

Anyway, while looking at her profile I was hoping to catch a glimpse at what kind of person she was or had become. Nope. Not one inkling of info except her email address and a few photos. No interests. No quotes. No favorite music. Maybe that's what seperated her from Matt K. and me and the rest of us. She was always a clam. Always cut off and loving it. Well, seemed to like it that way at least.

Staci and I watched Mulholland Drive last night. That David Lynch film. And I'm with the rest of the world. I still don't really know what's going on. I wonder if the director had an idea of what was going on. Some of the scenes felt cool. Like the face behind the wall. That feels like the real thing. Like a real bad dream someone might have. And can you imagine going to visit someplay in real life to find that it exists? The movie captures a sense of being alone in your own skin in that way. Terrified, though not sure why except a dream told you to be. Sure it's a scary face, but all it did was come out from behind a wall and look at you. The only reason you're scared is because the dream has you in such a state to feel that way.

I don't know. A lot never seemed to connect in the film. It seemed like it tried, but a lot didn't seem to. There's an entire website about it, I hear from Staci. They help, but I bet you would proabably still feel lost while watching the film after reading their long explanations. But maybe that was the point of the movie. To feel lost. I just wish some parts of the movie didn't feel like a 90's cop show re-enactment scene. I think that was just the film quality, though.

I've really gotta catch up with Matt King. We haven't seen eachother in a while. We were supposed to be brothers!

No comments: